Social Media Policy
Statement of Purpose
The Village of Burr Ridge recognizes that social media platforms like Facebook, Twitter, NextDoor, and Instagram have become mainstream forms of communication among residents, media outlets, government agencies, businesses, and others. Using this technology, the Village has additional avenues by which to share news releases, inform the public of projects, initiatives, general village service information, and highlight events and positive media coverage. Additionally, social media provides the ability to share other information that supports the goals and mission of the Village. Social media also provides a two-way means by which to interact with residents, visitors, media, local business owners, and people who work in the Village.
Guidelines and Expectations"Social media account" shall mean any of the Village of Burr Ridge's accounts or online services that allow for interaction with Village residents and other stakeholders, including, but not limited to, Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram.
Limited Public Forum
To the extent that the Village elects to configure any element of social media sites to allow for public posting or commentary, then such elements shall be designated as limited public forums for discussion of limited topics in accordance with this policy.
Because communication via social media constitutes a limited public forum, the Village reserves the right to restrict commentary altogether or remove any content that is deemed a violation of this policy or for reasons relating to the efficient management of the sites in question. Content that conforms with this policy and the content restrictions set forth herein will not be removed solely on the basis of the viewpoint expressed by the poster.
Public posts and comments may not include any of the prohibited content listed below. All removed content shall be retained pursuant to the Village's records retention schedule. Village social media account content and comments containing any of the following forms of content shall not be allowed for posting and shall be removed:
- Profane language or content.
- Content that promotes, fosters, or perpetuates discrimination on the basis of race, religion, gender, marital status, familial status, national origin, age, mental or physical disability, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, source of income, or other protected status under applicable law.
- Inappropriate sexual content or links to such content.
- Solicitations of commerce.
- Conduct or encouragement of illegal activity.
- Information that may compromise the safety or security of the public or public systems.
- Content that includes unlawful harassment or threats of violence.
- Plagiarized material or content that violates intellectual property rights or other legal rights of any other party.
- Content that defames any person, group, or organization.
- Slanderous, libelous, malicious, offensive, threatening, profane, uncivil, or insulting language. References to the personality of individuals or personal attacks, insults, or threats will not be permitted.
- Content that violates any law or regulation.
- Private or personal material published without consent, including personal identifiers for any person, such as a home address, phone number, social security number, or other sensitive information.
Time of Use
The Village of Burr Ridge's social media accounts are not monitored 24/7, and as such, posts and responses should not be immediately expected.
When possible, and as technology allows, staff will make every effort to ensure that photos and videos posted to social media accounts are accessible to all, including those with visual or auditory impairment, by using available alt text, closed captioning, or other assistive features. Learn more here.
As the Village's social media accounts are not monitored 24/7, users are advised NOT to use the Village's social media accounts to report a crime or emergency situation. Crime reports and requests for police, fire, or emergency medical assistance must be made by dialing 9-1-1.
Village Intellectual Property
The Village seal and any other departmental logos, designs, or symbols are the exclusive property of the Village of Burr Ridge and are legally protected. Such symbols, logos, or designs may not be used without the Village's explicit permission.