Alcohol (Businesses)

Alcohol Information for Businesses

The purpose of this information is to inform you about the restrictions governing the retail sale of alcoholic beverages. Your continuing respect for these laws and your cooperation with the Village will contribute to a community free from alcohol related death and injury. If you have any questions or comments, please call the Burr Ridge Police Department at (630) 323-8181.

Dram Shop Responsibility: If injuries occur as a result of alcohol being supplied to a person, the person or owner of the establishment that supplied the alcohol, or both, can be held liable. Know when to stop serving alcohol to a person. Protect your business and yourself; don't let a person under the influence of alcohol drive.

Hours: Alcoholic liquor may be served to customers on the premises between the hours of 6 a.m. and 1 a.m.

Sale: The sale of alcoholic liquor is prohibited by persons under the age of 21. The establishment has the right and duty to check the identification of any person purchasing alcohol who appears to be under the legal age of 21. It is unlawful to serve alcohol to an intoxicated person.

Happy Hours: Happy hours are prohibited.

Posting: In each establishment in which liquor is sold, a printed card shall be prominently displayed which reads:

WARNING to Minors: You are subject to a fine of up to five hundred ($500.00) under the law if you purchase alcoholic liquor or misrepresent your age for the purpose of purchasing or obtaining alcoholic liquor.

Penalty: Penalties for violating the law range from: Arrest, fines, suspension or revocation of the establishment's liquor license.

Training: If you would like to receive training for you and your employees, the Burr Ridge Police Department will be happy to provide your establishment with free training customized to fit your busy work schedule. For further information, call (630) 323-8181.

Check the identification of all patrons. If you are unsure of the age of a patron and he/she cannot produce identification, do not serve him/her. If an ID card appears altered or false, take it and call the Police immediately (Dial 9-1-1). Refuse to serve intoxicated patrons.